Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Crossed eyes.. this cannot be happening.

We've been noticing something that has been occurring more and more with Cheyenne lately and it's breaking my heart.  Cheyenne's eyes have been randomly crossing and I am fearful for what she will have to go through as she gets older.  I was born with an eye condition where my eyes crossed and before I was 6 months old I had already had one surgery to try to correct it. It didn't work. I had to wear glasses since as far back as I could remember and contacts after that. I remember the torment I had to go through on a daily basis at a PRIVATE CATHOLIC elementary school and I don't want that for my daughter.  Kids are cruel, more cruel than you can ever be.  While I'm sure there were other things than my crossed eyes I know that was a class favorite.

I dreaded going to school every day because I didn't want to deal with it.  You would think that at a CATHOLIC school the PARENTS of most of those other children would have instilled manners in their children and would have taught them how to be kind to other classmates, but no.. those were probably the same parents that had enough money to send their snotty children to a private school hoping that the school did their dirty parent work. Maybe I'm a little neurotic about it because I've been on the receiving end a little too much before but my children go to public school and I threaten their lives if I ever hear them say something mean about another child. My boys are very respectful and kind to other students and I hope they always stay that way.

Cheyenne also has had this hemangioma on her cheek practically from birth.  Early on, people have looked and asked what it was and the boys even know that it's something she has that she cannot control and the doctor says it will fade away more and more as she gets older. I'm also dreading this thing not fading away before let's say second or third grade when kids start to realize their ability to be a follower and attack other children verbally and mentally. Now the crossed eyes. I swear to God this child is the sweetest, most outgoing almost-two-year-old child I've ever seen and I hope she doesn't let any snotty-nosed I'll-raised classmates tear her down. I'm going to do everything I can to raise my daughter to be strong and fight back and not be a victim.

She will be going to her first eye appointment very soon and I hope that we can be given some vision therapy like eye patches or other exercises to make her muscles stronger. I've already attempted to see how she will do with glasses and this little girl is going to put up a fight to wear those things. I just don't want her to ever have to go through what I went through and she deserves better.

No comments:

Post a Comment